How I Make My Homemade Almond Milk
Have you noticed how expensive formula, or cows milk is? It’s crazy. So after some friends help and research, i have now perfected my almond milk recipe, so i will happily share it with you Both of my kids drink it, and love it. It also stopped all of Eli’s spitting up issues, and belly issues.
Here ya go!
Ingredients for approximately 1/2 gallon of milk.
- 2 Cups Almonds
- Extra water for soaking (enough to cover almonds and allow 1-2 inches above them)
- 7 1/2 Cups Water
- 1/4 cup Honey
- Vanilla Extract (or vanilla bean) to taste ( i use a splash? or 1/2 bean)
- Cheesecloth, coffee filter, old dishcloth, receiving blanket or scrap fabric
- Glass container, with lid.
- Soak almonds in water for at least 8 hours in the refrigerator, I normally soak mine for at least 12 hours, or overnight until nap-time. They can soak for up to 48 hours.
- Drain water and discard. Rinse almonds in strainer thoroughly.
- *My blender will only do 2 pints (1/4 gallon) at a time, so i have to split mine up, if you don’t need to just add it all….*
- Add 1/2 of almonds and 3 3/4 cup water to blender. Pulse a few times, then let run for 2 minutes on your highest setting, mine is ice crush, i believe. Let it settle, and then run for another 2 minutes.
- I use an old receiving blanket, as after trying everything i listed above, it is the easiest and works the best. But trial and error until you find what you like. Place cloth over a bowl/cup/container other than your final one and pour milk into it slowly, letting it strain threw. After you’ve gotten all you can that way, take cloth and squeeze it until the liquid is all out.
- You can save the almond meal for something else (will post at the end). Make sure you rinse out blender, then add this milk BACK into the blender (yes, i know this sucks, but do it)
- Add 2 tbsp honey (half of the honey i asked for) and a splash of vanilla (you can change this as you make more, to what you want)
- Blend until mixed well.
- You can either A) Strain again with cloth or B) add straight to glass container (this is what i do)
- Repeat steps 4-9 for second half of milk if you couldn’t do it all at once.
- Add milk to refridgerator and use like regular milk. It will keep for 3-4 days, but i’ve had it for a week once and it was still good. Smell it, if it stinks or smells foul, toss it.
Notes: It will seperate in fridge, just give a good shake, and it’s all mixed back up
After i’m done, i take the almond meal and toss in oven on 350 degrees until it’s crunchy and you can use it like panko, or bread crumbs. Taste it, i love the stuff on top of a salad!