*Edit: this still works fantastically however i’m not using anymore as I’ve converted to “No-poo” and prefer that as i’m lazy and it requires almost no work on my part. However, i still stand by these being my favorite shampoo and conditioners ever*
Disclaimer: This is what worked for me, and my family in our experiences, as well with a bunch of research put in, i am not an expert so please use ingredients carefully.
- 1/4 cup distilled water or Herbal Infusion (See below)
- 1/2 cup liquid castile soap (I use Dr. Bronner’s 5-1 Hemp Tea Tree)
- 1/4 tsp vitamin E (1 capsule)
- 5 drops grapefruit seed extract
- Essential oil blend for your hair type (See below)
- Optional: 1/4 teaspoon Grapeseed oil (don’t use if your hair is oily or fine; it may make your hair greasy)
Additional Ingredients for hair type:
- Dry or damaged hair: 1/2 tsp vegetable glycerin and 2 tbsp aloe vera gel
- Oily hair: 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Thinning hair: 2 tbsp aloe vera gel
- Dandruff: 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
Instructions: Mix well in dark glass container, makes 8 oz.
- 2 tbsp carrier oil (I use 1 1/2 coconut oil and 1/2 tbsp jojoba oil), but you can use any you want, except in my experience avocado oil makes you have a gross waxy residue.)
- 1/2 tsp vitamin E (2 capsules)
- 1/2 cup distilled water or Herbal Infusion
- Essential oil blend for your hair
- 5 drops Grapefruit Seed Extract
1: Stir together the oil, warming slowly over a low heat until just a bit warmer than body temp. Remove from heat and pour in the Vitamin E.
2: In a separate pot on the stove or in the microwave, gently warm the water or herbal infusion just until lukewarm. Do NOT skip this step or your conditioner will separate later on.
3: Slowly pour the water/herbal infusion into the oil mixture, stirring constantly with a wire whisk until the mixture is thick and smooth.
4: Stir in the essential oils and the grapefruit seed extract. Pour the natural hair conditioner into a clean, sterilized 8oz (250ml) dark glass or PET plastic bottle and allow it to cool before putting the lid on.
5: Shake the bottle occasionally as the conditioner cools to prevent the ingredients from separating. Store in a cool, dark place.
Blonde Hair Dried Calendula, Chamomile, Lemon Peel
Red Hair Dried Calendula, Hibiscus, Cinnamon Bark
Dark Hair Black Tea, Dried Rosemary, Cloves
Essential Oil Blend:
- Blonde Hair 12 drops lemon, 6 drops rosemary OR lavender, 2 drops chamomile
- Red Hair 18 drops orange, 1 drop cinnamon, 1 drop ylang ylang
- Dark Hair 15 drops sandalwood, 4 drops patchouli, 1 drop clove
- Gray Hair 14 drops lavender, 3 drops sage, 3 drops rosemary
- Dry Hair 10 drops lavender, 1 drop each chamomile, clary sage, rose geranium, ylang ylang
- Oily Hair 10 drops rosemary, 4 drops juniper OR lavender, 1 drop cedarwood
- Thinning Hair 14 drops rosemary, 3 drops bay, 3 drops peppermint
- Dandruff 10 drops tea tree, 5 drops lavender, 5 drops rosemary